“We have gathered with our Jewish and Muslim brothers in an event of great importance to call upon the world to think and act in the name of brotherhood and peace – even in the field of technology. The signing of the Rome Call by Jewish and Muslim religious leaders and the joint call for algorethics to guide the design of artificial intelligence refer precisely to the increasingly urgent need to build paths of peace, mutual respect, dialogue and community’.
With these words, Archbishop Vincenzo Paglia, president of the Pontifical Academy for Life and the RenAIssance Foundation, welcomed the participants in the event “AI Ethics: an Abrahamic commitment to the Rome Call” – organised at the Vatican City on January 10th, 2023 – which brought together leading religious representatives and international technology key players, such as Microsoft and IBM.
The event has been promoted by the Vatican’s RenAIssance Foundation, the United Arab Emirates’ Abu Dhabi Forum for Peace and the Chief Rabbinate of Israel’s Commission for Interfaith Relations.
To learn more:
- Read the speech of His Holiness Pope Francis;
- Read the speech of Archbishop Vincenzo Paglia (president of the Pontifical Academy for Life and the RenAIssance Foundation);
- Read the speech of HE Sheikh Abdallah bin Bayyah (President of the Abu Dhabi Forum for Peace, Chair of the Emirates Council for Shariah Fatwa);
- Read the speech of Chief Rabbi Eliezer Simha Weisz (Member of the Council of the Chief Rabbinate of Israel);
- Read the press release;
- Watch the video of the event;
- Read the Joint Declaration issued by the representatives of the three promoting organizations.